Saturday, February 11, 2006

5. Ann Packer: The Dive From Clausen's Pier



I've been meaning to read this book for a while now. Carrie seems to be having second thoughts about her engagement. Then, her fiancee becomes immobilized when he injures his spinal cord in a diving accident. She flees Madison, WI where she has lived all her life for NYC without so much as a good luck to anyone even her mother.

A few of my favorite quotes, without context:

Isn't it obvious? You can't leave because you're the person you are, and I can't want you to because that would be wanting you to be someone else when I want you to be you.

People have this idea that what they do changes who they are. A married man had an affair and he thinks, Now I've become a bad person. As if something had changed.. Meaning bad isn't the issue. Meaning you do what you do. Not without consequences for other people, of course, sometimes very grave ones. But it's not helpful to regard your choices as a series of right or wrong moves. They don't define you as much as you define them.. You could just as easily have stayed. But that wouldn't make you a good person any more than leaving makes you a bad one. You're already made, honey. That's what I mean.


I really enjoyed this, and recommend it. Chick lit with an edge. I liked it because it illustrates people making hard choices in their lives, changing things, changing who they are. Only to realize, it's not as simple or as difficult as one may have thought.

No comments: