Wednesday, May 17, 2006

my grandmother has died.


Though lovers be lost love shall not;
And death shall have no dominion

Dylan Thomas

i feel she has been ripped from my breast.
snatched so quickly.

yet i know she was suffering.
i know this is a blessing.

but i am only human
and i can't understand that.

i can't believe
that she belongs
where i am not.

does god really expect for me to get that?

it will be one week tomorrow.

a week ago tonight was the last time i saw her breathing.
she was sleeping so heavily, not to be roused, but breathing.

i left work and raced to the house.
the undertaker was in the kitchen,

in her bed, she appeared to be sleeping.
i didn't want them to take her.
i didn't believe she was dead.
i didn't believe it.

i watched them wheel her
in a bag
down the deck.

it is that image that
haunts me now.

the bag was only zipped to her neck.
it was brown.

3 comments:

paul said...

i have just been looking back at all your posts, and i love them. i hope all is well with you.

alyse said...

thank you.

Nick Faber said...

I'm sorry this is late, but my condolences to you and your family.

Nick