Sunday, January 22, 2006

Speed Racer



Last night driving back to DC from Annapolis, I had route 50 to myself. It was a beautiful night, warm for January, and I could just go. There is nothing like an open highway in the middle of night. begging to be tested. Sunroof back, the heat on low, and moving fast. There is something supremely exhilarating about speed.

I've got N.E.R.D. 'Lapdance' on repeat as I race past open fields:

I'm just straight ill
Ridin' my motorcycle down the streets
While politicians is soundin' like strippers to me
They keep sayin' but I don't wanna hear it...

Oooh baby you want me?
Oooh baby you want me?
Oooh baby you want me?
Well you can get this lapdance here for free
Well you can get this lapdance here for free
Well you can get this lapdance here for free

Mind you, I do not have a fabulous sports car. Betty, my little red car, has only seen 93 mph. It's funny, most of the people I know with performance cars don't really drive fast, with the exception of my Dad. I remember the first time he took an exit ramp at 122. It was stiff, tight and hungry.

The downside to performance cars, you can't drive them every day. They are a notoriously rough ride at low speeds. Most places are too populated with traffic lights and other drivers to really open your car up.

That's a photo of Danica Patrick, the 1st woman to ever lead the at the Indy 500 (May, 2005) and the 4th to ever compete in the race. She also had the fastest practice speed that month at about 230 mph.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oooooo - we love danica! she is fabulous . . .