Monday, November 28, 2005

Girl with Peanut Allergy Dies from Kiss

Above is Gustav Klimt's, 1908 masterpiece, Der Kuss (The Kiss).

Christina Deforges, a 15-year old Canadian girl with a peanut allergy, died after kissing her boyfriend who had recently eaten a peanut laden snack. I can relate as I suffer from the same extreme peanut allergy.

When I was in college, I kissed a boy around 7pm who had eaten cashews at noon. My lip swelled like Eddie Murphy in The Nutty Professor. I broke out in hives, started coughing, my throat began itching and I had difficulty breathing. It was a horrible experience.

Experts are unsure what causes a peanut allergy but there has been some correlation with the use of creams containing a protein found in peanuts and/or mothers who ingest nuts while pregnant or breastfeeding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well then, I guess no Thai appetizers at New Years'! :)