Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Pablo Picasso, Girl Before a Mirror



Picasso, one of my favorite artists, Jeune Fille Devan un Miroir (Girl Before a Mirror), one of my favorite paintings. Completed in 1932, it is at once a woman reaching through time to embrace both a former and future self, a woman in the present reconciling the differences between reality and fantasy.

It is in this mirror that I see not only myself but those that have shaped me and those whose light and warmth and achievement I hope to somehow reflect. I see teachers, athletes, writers, artists, colleagues, cultural icons, family and those that I am privileged to call friends. My friendships, built on an intimacy that is both thorough and immediate. Friendships that are discovered rather than created. A love at first sight. A recognition, as if looking in a mirror at a former/future self.

Thank you to my beautiful friends who complete my life. Whose very presence reminds me that there is a kind and benevolent rhythm to life that follows divine order. I know, without exaggeration, that I couldn't exist as I am without you. Your generous hearts and brilliant minds are the maps that guide me to the summit.

1 comment:

gary j. introne said...

That's a really nice post. The illustration (Picasso) and your brief reference to it reinforces the message you leave. Quite nicely put, and done.

Thanks. Gary Introne